Major Projects Manager
- 1 year contract plus opportunity to extent 1 additional year
- Based in Wellington
About the Ministry:
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) acts in the world to make New Zealanders safer and more prosperous.
Our purpose is to create the international conditions and connections for New Zealand and New Zealanders to thrive.
About the Group:
The Pacific and Development Group (PDG) leads an integrated approach to New Zealand's diplomatic and development engagement with Pacific countries and is responsible for the delivery of the New Zealand Aid Programme in the Pacific and globally.
About the Division:
Pacific Melanesia and Micronesia Division (PACMM) is responsible for the provision of New Zealand's development and foreign policy work in these two sub-regions. The Division manages New Zealand's network of posts in Melanesia and oversees New Zealand's engagements across this important part of the region. The Division is made up of two business units: Fiji, Vanuatu, Kiribati; and Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Nauru and the North Pacific.
The objective of this role is to:
The key objectives to be achieved through this role are the successful achievement of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade development outcomes in Kiribati and Papua New Guinea through ensuring effective project management and delivery of large, complex projects. The primary focus of the role will be on the Kiribati programme infrastructure portfolio as well as providing support for the Papua New Guinea Electrification Partnership.
- Deliver timely and high-quality development related business outputs in accordance with the Government's priorities and mandates and aid effectiveness principles.
- Perform a combination of project management and relationship management functions.
- Maintain high standards for Activity performance (budget, schedule, and quality, environmental and social).
- Monitor and manage Activities to ensure that implementation is effective and intended outcomes are achieved.
- Maintain close working relationships with bilateral teams and other parts of MFAT involved in the delivery of our Official Development Assistance.
- Manage the relationship with, and performance of, contractors to ensure that deliverables are of a high standard.
- Provide progress and performance reporting to MFAT on supplier performance and project progress with respect to budgets, schedule and quality. This will include translating topics to non-technical colleagues, stakeholders and decision makers.
- Manage relationships associated with assigned Activities, including partner government agencies, contractors, other donors, offshore personnel, relevant MFAT Divisions, other NZ Government agencies, communities, civil society and other stakeholders.
This opportunity will appeal if you have:
- A minimum of five years' experience in project management or related field, preferably in an infrastructure/ engineering context.
- Experience in project and contract management (including finance and administration).
- Sound planning and organising skills, and ability to prioritise workload and coordinate a range of tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to build, maintain relationships with internal and external peers / contacts, including partners in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong sense of customer service and passion for delivering high quality outputs.
- Availability to travel periodically including to developing countries once travel becomes safe in the Covid-19 context.
Candidates must be a NZ Citizen or hold a NZ permanent residence visa and have the ability to obtain and maintain an appropriate New Zealand Government security clearance and operate as a business registered with the New Zealand Companies Office.
A contract extension may be considered if required. This assignment is to start in early 2021 as mutually agreed by MFAT and the successful candidate.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 17th January, 5:00pm (NZT)
Hudson Global Resources has been engaged to manage this procurement process. Please refer all correspondence, queries or requests for more information and a copy of the full Role Description to:
Senior Consultant, Hudson, Wellington, New Zealand
Office: +64 4 917 9200
DDI: +64 4 917 9296
Cell: +64 21 054 5744